Hockey coaches and players only have to look at players such as Gretzky, Sakic, Shanahan, Ronning, Kariya, Nieuwendyk and Oates as these great hockey players have one thing in common…they have all played lacrosse and have used the experience to enhance their hockey skills. You can share in their experience by playing lacrosse!
- Lacrosse and hockey are very similar sports
- U.S. College scholarship opportunities in lacrosse are available
- Hockey players excel in lacrosse
- It’s a great method to increase physical fitness in hockey’s offseason
- It helps prevent sport burn-out by playing a new, fast-paced sport
- A player can learn to play both offensive and defensive positions and make a quick transition from defense to offence and vice versa
- It reinforces the importance of quickness and agility around the net
- Lacrosse increases hand-eye co-ordination when stick handling
- It teaches players to play with their head up and to be more aware of their surroundings
- Offensive scoring skills are honed by shooting at smaller targets and picking corners
- Defensive skills are taught with individual and team concepts
- Lacrosse teaches the creativity of fakes, back passes, & shots
Why Hockey Coaches Should Coach Lacrosse
- It’s a great way to keep your hockey team together all year round.
- Hockey coaches teach similar strategies of team play and special teams.