Spring 2018 registration is now open!
Season starts April 24 for the girls and April 25 for the boys!!!
Parents’ Pre-Season Letter, April 4, 2018
We are just a few weeks away from the start of the season and the Westmount Lynx are ready to roll. We have had a few great meetings of parent volunteers, whose goal is to further develop, build, and operate the club (let us know if YOU would like to get more involved!). We have also coordinated with the city of Westmount, our new coaches, and the Quebec Lacrosse Association to further build our relationships in the lacrosse community. We are thrilled to see how far lacrosse and our organization have come in the last 12 years since the founding of the Lynx!
- Pre-Season Parents Meeting: Thursday, April 12, 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm, Westmount Recreation Centre, 4675 Saint-Catherine St, Westmount, QCH3Z 1E2, Recreation room. We will present an update on club activities and our plans for the season. We will reserve plenty of time for parents to ask questions.
- Positive Coaching Alliance Workshop for PARENTS: Thursday, April 12, 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm. Westmount Recreation Centre, 4675 Saint-Catherine St, Westmount, QCH3Z 1E2, Recreation room. As you may know, the Lynx are very proud to have formally partnered with the PCA. PCA has 3,500 school and youth sports program partnerships throughout the world, sharing tools to help create a culture where kids love to play the game. Their vision statement is attached. We firmly believe that a positive approach gets the most from youth and high school athletes, which is what coaches, parents and the athletes themselves want. Parents are invited, free of charge, to join PCA and other parents for this workshop that will help them actively support their kids and the club. Jamie Henderson is our PCA parent volunteer and will be there on Thursday. Hope to see you!!!
- Centurions: If you who would like to also play for the Centurions elite travel squad, you need to register for the tryouts. There is a link to a google form on the Centurions’ home page. lacrossecenturions.com
- Practice times: In our last email, we sent out weekday practice times with our first group starting at 5 pm. We have heard from a few parents that that 5 pm is tough to manage logistically. Message received. Please let me know if anyone would have a problem doing weekday practices at 6:00-7:15 for the younger group (Novice and Peewee) and 7:15 to 8:45 pm for the older group (Bantams and Midgets). If no objections, we will make the switch.
- Games: With our improved connections with the broader Montreal lacrosse community, we will be able to schedule 6 box lacrosse games for each of our teams, plus one Sunday jamboree (2 games), plus an end of year field lacrosse tournament (likely the Plattsburgh “Air Raid” tournament). Expect to get the schedule in the next two weeks.
- New box lacrosse specialist coach! This season the Lynx welcome a new addition to the coaching staff, Nic Soubry. Nic will work alongside Coach Kevin and the other nine experienced Lynx coaches. Nic grew up playing box lacrosse in Ontario, went on to play Division 1 lacrosse in the US at Sacred Heart University, has coached youth box lacrosse locally for the last few years, and also serves on the McGill University field lacrosse staff. When he is not coaching lacrosse, he is working on his PhD at McGill. I am hoping that all parents get a chance to meet Nic soon. He’s a great guy and a great coach!
- Our new head girls coach! Allow me to formally introduce our new head coach, Samantha Coronel! Sam was one of the head coaches of the McGill Women’s Lacrosse Team along with last year’s Lynx head coach Kristie Liu (who is moving on after finishing her studies at McGill). She will be assisted by Chloe Gherardi and Kalyssa Volk, last year’s assistant coaches. Sam has played lacrosse competitively since she was 8 years old. She is excited to develop our girls’ lacrosse skills and is also excited to grow the sport of lacrosse here in Westmount!
- Season starts and ends: The season begins April 24 and ends the weekend of June 9-10.
- Practices: Practices will be Tuesday nights from 5:30 to 6:45 for girls 12 and under and 5:30 to 7:00 for girls 13 and older. Tuesday night practices will be inside at the Westmount Recreation Center (on the rink surface, so wear sneakers). Sunday practices will be 9:00 am to 10:30 am at Westmount High School. On some Sundays, we may have a few games or “play dates” with other clubs, which may be at alternate times and/or locations. We are working with our sister clubs in the region to try and get some fun events planned for your girls. Stay tuned, details to come soon….
It’s going to be a great season!
- Coach Kevin and Coach Z
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: When does the season start and end?
A: Spring 2018 season begins in late April and goes until mid-June. Specific details to come – awaiting confirmation from the city of Westmount.
Q: Is this field lacrosse or box lacrosse or both?
A: Both! In the spring, we integrate box lacrosse into the program for the boys. In the fall, we only play field lacrosse. Girls will play field lacrosse but will practice inside once a week.
Q: Are we playing in a league this year?
A: Yes! The boys will play in a local box lacrosse league and the girls will play in a local field lacrosse league. The boys will also play in a few field lacrosse tournaments.
Q: Are we training this winter?
A: Yes, we will hold skills sessions this winter in January and February, Sunday afternoons. Details to come.
Q: How are the Lynx age groups broken down?
A: For the boys, we welcome ages 8-16 and we are planning four age groups for them.
- Novice: Born in 2008 and after
- Peewee: Born in 2006 and 2007
- Bantam: Born in 2004 and 2005
- Midget: Born in 2003 and 2002
The girls will likely have two age groups, but we will wait for registration totals before confirming that.
Q: How many days a week do we practice or play games?
A: For the boys, we practice or play games three days a week. Girls practice or play twice a week.
Q: Where can I buy equipment?
A: Locally, you can go out to Stinger Sport in Pt. Claire. Alternatively, you can order online at a retailer like lax.com or lacrossemonkey.com.
Q: How can I get better and prepare for the season?
A: Number one, you should start the season in shape. Run sprints, lift weights (older players), do agility drills, play other sports. And number two, play wall ball! http://beginnerlacrosse.com/lacrosse-wall-ball.asp. Email Coach Z if you have specific questions.
Q: I would like to play lacrosse this spring but given my other interests, I can only show up once or twice a week. Is that OK?
A: No. Please do not sign up unless you can commit to the team.
Q: I do not like to run. Is lacrosse a good sport for me?
Q: What are the rules of lacrosse? Can you share some links?
A: Below are links to boys’/men’s rules from both the US and Canada.